“One of the principal objects of theoretical research in my department of knowledge is to find the point of view from which the subject appears in its greatest simplicity.” 
-Josiah Willard Gibbs 
I am pleased to introduce The Chem Constant Chemistry Blog, the newest addition to our chemistry department here at California State University Channel Islands (CI). Since this is my first post I will begin by introducing myself. My name is Shelby and I’m a junior level Chemistry student at CI. It is my hope to provide insight into the goings-on in the department as well as an original viewpoint on developments relevant to the field of chemistry outside of the campus walls.

The date of launch for The Chem Constant Chemistry Blog was strategically chosen so that it will forever share a birthday with Josiah Willard Gibbs. Born 172 years ago today, on the 11th of February in 1839, the world-renowned American theoretical chemist, physicist and mathematician served the scientific community with a wealth of significant contributions till his death on the 28th of April in 1903.

Celebrated by many as having one of the greatest science minds of all time, Gibbs is well known as the father of chemical thermodynamics. In his paper On the Equilibrium of Heterogeneous Substances he provided much of the theoretical groundwork for the foundation of Physical Chemistry, defined as the study of macroscopic, microscopic, atomic, subatomic and particulate phenomena in chemical systems. In the chemistry department at CSUCI however, he may be better known for making undergraduate chemistry students (including yours truly) tremble in terror at the thought of taking Physical Chemistry, a required core course in the major. But perhaps that’s just looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Inspired by this man, I aim to heed his advice and “find the point of view from which the subject appears in its greatest simplicity.” Feedback from readers is not only valued as a tool to hold me to this standard but also a necessary component to making The Chem Constant Chemistry Blog a success. To honor the mantra that has been repeated to me by so many of my professors, science is a team sport and to succeed you have to be a team player. In this, all are welcome to contribute and join the conversation. Please leave your comments and suggestions.